10/14/2010

When worlds collide

It's interesting when two different parts of your life come together. I find myself staring at my friend Andy from time to time because I still haven't reconciled in my mind what he's doing here. Like, at all. He's a friend I met in Japan, and there he is in my living room, sleeping on my American couch and overall just occupying a physical and mental space that he shouldn't. Like it's the most normal thing in the world. Don't get me wrong my heart SINGS when I think, "Hey! There's my buddy!" And other times a shiver runs through me like, "This isn't right. ...Right?"

I'm the kind of person that when I travel someplace else/new, I kind of just accept that "Okay. This is my life now." And I just adapt to how things are supposed to be in this new place. But when someone enters a space in my life that they normally don't it's hard for me to accept that it's happening at all. My brain rejects the reality that Andy being here is unusual while it also reminds me that he isn't usually here. Thus the stares. I think I'll check in on him in a few and make sure this is actually happening.

2 comments:

  1. I saw Ashley a month ago in Halifax and I think we both thought the same thing. "I *know* you! But what'r you doing outta Japan??"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I`unno, my moments of temporal dissonance (not even sure if that phrase works here, but damn does it sound cool) have always been brief. I've seen Colin and Cassie twice now, as well as Nirav, in the US, and the moment of "this is weird..." fades away supe rquickly to "well, actually, not really"

    ReplyDelete