10/10/2010

Buying used things.

I've been treating the Los Angeles Goodwills as my personal Ikea and have kitted out my room with one-of-a kind decoritos that I think'll make visitors think I'm cooler than I actually am. And I've been doing pretty well making my room look nice while spending not much dollar. And I wanted to keep it that way. (Keeps me grounded) So my roommate and I decided to hit up garage sales and flea markets before the big party in a few weeks.

We decided to head to the Melrose Trading Post flea market at Fairfax High but, apparently, we weren't the first to discover this jem. I went in with 20 dollars hoping to find a unique whatever to put in my room but was really surprised that apparently I was walking into a string of outdoor boutiques with real-life store prices. I was under the impression that flea markets were tented yard sales where recovering hoarders unloaded some of their salvageable knickknacks for a pittance but I was wrong. Dead wrong! It was a trendy event crawling with "cool" 20-somethings in fashionably torn sun dresses and handlebar mustaches. It did my head in. I couldn't walk for hipsters!

I'll be going back though. 1. Because I was able to haggle my way into getting a side table for 10 bux from this accented man in a checkered blouse. 2. Because I saw James Spooner!!!! and 3. Because, hipsters aside, they have some pretty dope sh*t. I would say make sure to check it out, but apparently it's new to only me. So do what you like.

2 comments:

  1. Next time you come to Alameda we should go to the Alameda Antiques Faire. It is pretty insane (aka giant) and some stuff is expensive but it is also a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, lets totally do it! Because the prices of this one was bogus!

    ReplyDelete