10/11/2010

A question unasked...

Because of my circumstances I take public transportation. I would like to drive. Or at least, not to take the route that’s apparently most popular with LA’s homeless and do-do Mamas but I can’t. Because I don’t know how to drive. So I hear countless unwanted conversations and make sure to tuck in my shoulders as to no rile fellow passengers.

When I got on the bus this morning, I see this dude with a grandma cart of photography supplies sitting in priority seating. He was struggling to keep his stuff still so this lady helped him arrange it properly. I didn't help. And then a completely unrelated woman started piping up about how the lady who helped the man had pretty nails. She nearly screamed it. No. She screamed it. (I’m going somewhere with this.) A compliment turned into conversation. And conversation turned into questions about where the lady lived, what she did for a living and whether or not she touched other peoples feet. She didn’t. Then the unrelated woman (or “unrelady”) asked her “I bet you touch your husband’s feet!” and the woman replied, "My husband is deceased." Then all was quiet on the bus until I reached my stop.

1 comment:

  1. wow that was awkward. I'm embarassed for her.

    ReplyDelete