10/22/2010

Forgotten formal script

When I was a kid they made it seem like writing in cursive was the only way adults communicated with each other in print. I was forced to learn the difference between stylized "T"s and "F"s and made sure my "Q"s had that nice "2-y" look. But cursive was just like those other lies kids are taught in school. I later learnt that it wasn't used for anything other than love letters, signing that sentence at the end of the SATs and bogus personality tests. My father knew what was up. He never learnt how to write script. And when he tried, he just drew tails at the end of each letter and laughed that we were taught they were distinguishable at all.

My hand wrote a note in cursive today. Not sure why I didn't stop myself, but I kinda dug it. I'm glad I still remembered how to do it after so long. (Beautiful useless skill.) I think I'll try a backflip next..

3 comments:

  1. Cursive was the only way I wrote anything long-form from elementary on. I don'd know if it started because I was trying to be fancy or what, but I always felt like I was genuinely faster in cursive, if not more illegible.


    PS. The "you're not a bot, type a word!" verification tool for Blogger wanted me to spell "slexton." Saucy~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so proud of my cursive when i was younger. I would write it slant-ways and up-ways and would always dot my I's in "♥"s but not my j's. never my j's! I think I kicked the habit of writing cursive in middle school. I think i turned in homework in it and got an "i'[ncomplete]. I should've just topped it with a ♥ and handed it back. That would've been real slexy...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah man, I would've been so pissed if that happened to me.

    It also helps that my print is TERRIBLE. Arguably worse than my cursive.

    ReplyDelete