10/18/2010

Haggling

Since I've been furnishing my apartment with things from garage sales and flea markets, I've had to haggle on more than one occasion. Even still, I get nervous asking, "Will you take 15?" because I know at that same moment I'm holding a $20 bill while pretending to rummage through my purse. And I try to make natural movements so the venders won't get wise and call my bluff. It's made me feel deceitful. I know I'm entirely capable of paying full price for something but, either because of culture or my mother, I try to undercut even the lowest of bargains. Value is arbitrary, so I shouldn't feel too badly when I try to make up my own prices for things. I try, but I haven't been too gutsy. I've never asked for more than 25% off because I also worry then that people will think I simply don't know the value of some things. It's all very stressful and my bedroom still isn't finished. I think I'm better suited for stores. (All except Anthropologie. That chair is $1,600+!!! F*ck a bunch of that!)

2 comments:

  1. the chair in your room looks MUCH nicer! although i may be partial to the pattern for some reason...

    ReplyDelete
  2. for 10 bux at a garage sale, too! talked him down from 15! that's right.

    ReplyDelete